Search This Blog

Friday, January 31, 2014

Making excuses


After any silly mistake or a big blunder, mind starts to look for excuses, consciously or unconsciously. But why? According to Louie Anderson, “I felt ashamed for what I had done. I don't have any excuses. I did what I did. I take full responsibility for myself and my actions. I wouldn't pawn this off on anybody. I'm sorry it happened. And I hurt people.” And if one can add to this that I will not repeat it in life and will try to help in healing the wounds, I don’t think that’s too much to ask for. No, instead we make excuses, justifying our deeds, logically or illogically. In psychology, this is called rationalization, a defense mechanism in which perceived controversial behaviors or feelings are logically justified and explained in a rational or logical manner in order to avoid any true explanation, and are made consciously tolerable – or even admirable and superior – by plausible means. This effect is may be to hide oneself from the feeling of shame or guilt, which either way will be going to haunt. However in contrast, there is Intellectualization, another defense mechanism where reasoning is used to block confrontation with an unconscious conflict and its associated emotional stress where thinking is used to avoid feeling. It involves removing one's self, emotionally, from a stressful event. Intellectualization may accompany, but is different from rationalization, the pseudo-rational justification of irrational acts. Intellectualization and rationalization together forms an extremely dangerous combination, which lies in the hands of his master, but later makes his master its slave. Let’s talk in terms of time, in the time we try to justify our actions, making excuses and framing them, if we can move ahead and can amend the situation. That will be better utilization of time.  In exams, when we are unable to perform well, excuses are made-time was less, examiner was shrewd, questions were tough, but when we perform well, credit goes to us, we studied so we performed. Isn’t it unfair !!
 

No comments: